Lion's Head mountain - Cape Town

Lion's Head mountain - Cape Town
Lion's head viewed from Clifton beach

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Working for Equal Education in Khayelitsha

I arrived in Cape Town, South Africa, 3 weeks ago for a 3 month trip. I am volunteering for a charity called Equal Education in the township of Khayelitsha. I am studying photography part time while I’m here, learning to make the most of my Canon digital SLR.  This is my first blog and mainly addresses my experiences of work along with some photos I have taken. I hope to write some more at a later stage about my life here in the beautiful city of Cape Town.


For over ten years I was heavily involved in a youth movement RSY-Netzer (Reform Synagogue Youth). We talked about changing the world and youth empowerment and at a younger age I really felt like we were doing amazing things. One of the decisions we made as a movement was to become vegetarian, not only for compassion towards animals but also to avoid the negative effect that the meat industry is having on the environment through pollution and use of fossil fuels. Even though we made small changes towards a better world, I didn’t find the day to day feeling particularly gratifying, particularly as I went to work for them full time last year. We took middle class kids and created a fantastic, fun educational environment. The fulfilment I got from the movement was in my personal character building. I felt that the movement shaped me personally, giving me skills and confidence useful to life. I like to think that this was passed on to hundreds of young people too and that is the reason I felt it was worthwhile.

After deciding to spend a few months on holiday in Cape Town, I went searching for something to do during my time. I heard about an organisation called Equal Education (EE), which works in townships near Cape Town. What I knew about them was that they were founded mainly by members of Habonim Dror South Africa, which is another Zionist youth movement very similar to RSY-Netzer. My Expectation was that they would use our traditional leadership skills allowing their leaders to create fun exciting activities to keep kids in townships entertained. When I arrived at their offices in Khayelitsha I discovered so much more.
The view from the window in my office: A playing field with township houses and mountains in the background

Kids playing football on the playing field after school
When this group of kids saw my camera they posed in front of it, saying "take my picture, take my picture!"
 I’m working in their youth department whose structure could not be more similar to what I’m used to in the Zionist youth movement world. Where Zionist youth movements focus on educating young people on Zionism, EE focus on educating on education itself and teaching its youth about the structure of the education system in South Africa and its unequal spread of resources. Where RSY-Netzer focus on trying to change the world, EE trains its members to be activists in campaigning for better education in townships. They use the same ideas of peer leadership, allowing their young members to work their way up through the EE movement to becoming leaders. They use the same peulah (programme) structure, teaching their leaders (equalisers) how to start with ice breaker games or a trigger, keep the learners engaged through different mediums of activity and make sure they always sikkum (sum up). The run weekly activities, one for each year group with a mix of pupils from various local schools. They run campaigns and marches throughout the year and a residential summer camp. I was truly inspired by how something I’m so familiar with is happening in a context that is so different. I went along to a youth group and saw how the learners are debating about something so close to their hearts – their education.

Upon arriving at Thembelihle school in Kayelitsha for one of the grade 10 weekly meetings, I was not expecting what I saw. I was greeted by a large brick building, with windows, a solid roof and a grand entrance and all the teenagers were smartly dressed in their uniforms. When I say smartly dressed, I have never seen young people care so much about a school uniform. They had ironed blazers and shirts, perfectly knotted ties and well polished shoes. I walked in to the school to find that this was simply a shell to a large empty space. The main “hall” which doubles as a sports pitch, feels like it’s outside. The classrooms have broken desks and chairs. There is no sign of a library and the bathroom facilities are basic. As the learners moved about, fine chalk dust from the unfinished floors made its way onto their pristine uniforms. Many of them kept handkerchiefs in their pockets and shared them around to dust themselves off and keep their clothing presentable. They had lengthy discussions about facilities in their schools and how unfair it is that Khayelitshian schools were not adequately funded. These kids had an incredible sense of pride in themselves, I’m not sure if that is a result of the work of EE or from their upbringing and culture but it was amazing to see.
Thembelihle High school in Khayelitsha (kids in their own clothes as this was the week of school holiday)

The steps at the front of the indoor school hall, leading to the stage
Pupils standing in the school hall at one of EEs "mass meetings" in during the school holiday
A case that has been taking up a large amount of our time at EE is a situation regarding Chris Hani School and a pupil named Malibongwe Melani. Malibongwe entered his school one morning and was involved in an altercation with the school’s private security guard involving a minor breach of a school rule. The guards then beat Malibongwe causing serious spinal injury and two weeks in hospital. He is still unable to walk. The principal was present at the attack and may or may not have instigated it. He definitely didn’t stop it. The Western Cape Education Department investigated and stated that there was no wrongdoing and dismissed the situation. Pupils at the school rioted for 2 days, refusing to go to lessons, burning rubbish outside the school and throwing chairs. They wanted their principal to be fired and wanted the situation to be dealt with. I went to the second day of riots and saw pupils who desperately wanted a better education for themselves. They wanted to be heard and want a safe education environment. Eventually the decision was made that the principal would not go back to school for the rest of the week. After a week of school holiday that followed, the principal turned up for work on the first Monday back. The media are now saying that the reason Malibongwe is injured is not from an attack but from an pre-existing case of spinal TB. The principal entered the homeroom of Mailibongwe’s class last week, seeming friendly and open to handling their frustrations by answering their questions. The pupils discovered that no less than 19 policemen, some of them armed, had been called by the principal and were surrounding the classroom. Questioning was brought to an end and students were searched and treated like criminals as the police said they were looking for drugs and weapons and these students were breaking the law. Equal Education are helping the pupils at Chris Hani school to get what they deserve. We have spent the last few weeks gathering evidence by speaking to Malibongwe, his hospital doctors, the security guards and various witnesses at the school.  We have assisted the pupils in peaceful protests and are urging the education board to thoroughly investigate the situation. Not only do these kids have poor resources in their schools and have a tough time of learning and passing their exams, they are faced with these situations where justice is completely thrown out of the window. The police, the education department and the senior staff at the school seem to have no regard for students, their rights and their safety. It has been a really interesting way for me to begin my time working at EE. I am shocked by what goes on here and pleased to be part of something that is attempting to change it.

Student protest at Chris Hani school
Many of the founding members of EE grew up in Jewish youth movements. They gained skills and confidence from their time there and are using them here every day. I am really grateful for my experience in RSY-Netzer. Although I am not a vegetarian and not even sure if I want to be a Reform Jew, I am grateful for everything I will take from the movement. I’m really enjoying working for EE It’s a really exciting environment, lots of things going on and lots to do. I look forward to another few weeks here and although I’m not expecting to change the world, I hope to continue to feel fulfilment with the work we’re doing.

EE members on the beach in Khayelitsha for their final youth group meeting of the year
I hope to write some more interesting updates over the next few weeks. I will tell you all about my plight to become a pro surfer and avoid getting bitten by sharks. You can find out what slacklining is and see my semi professional photos of it. There will be more stories from EE including our legal action they are about to take against the education board. And in every post I hope to show you some beautiful photos of my adventures, including all the seas and mountains I come across.

1 comment:

  1. i never knew kayalitsha, knew other places on the cape flats...am envious of your time in cape town, beautiful hometown. love the fact that your rsy years are being helpful in other situations. enjoy your holiday/volunteering. take care, stay safe. hope you never stop trying to change the world!!

    ReplyDelete