Lion's Head mountain - Cape Town

Lion's Head mountain - Cape Town
Lion's head viewed from Clifton beach

Sunday 18 December 2011

Online photography exhibition

I took part in a ten session course at the Cape Town School of Photography in Digital SLR. Each week we were given an assignment to take certain photos, then we would print them and the teacher would critique them in the next lesson. It gave me a great excuse to get out around Cape Town and take photos. Last week I had my final exhibition which involved an evening with wine and a live band at the school. All the work of the part-time and full-time students was put on display. For those of you who missed out I thought I'd present my pictures here for you.

I had to choose two pictures for the main exhibition. These were both around the subject of shadows. The first is a picture of Sonya who I have been living with for the last 3 months. Her and her friend Marc spent the afternoon as my subjects and I experimented with different lighting and shadows of portraits. The second was taken on our class photowalk. We all met up on a Saturday morning and had various tasks to do around town. I was looking at interesting shadows and found this pot plant on the wall of a house.

 


We had the task of creating a photo story which is a collection of photographs which tell a story. I chose to go for a documentary style story using adobe photoshop to adapt my photographs. Bo-Kaap is an area I have photographed a lot recently because it is a really interesting place. Many descendants of slaves in the 17th and 18th century were housed there by the dutch. It is a predominantly Muslim region and the main language is Afrikaans. People began painting their houses so they could recognise them and find their way home. I created a series of photos with adaptations document the movements and people in the area.








The photography course has been a really fun way to get used to my camera. I try to take my camera everywhere with me so I don't get caught out without it in a perfect kodak moment. I have built up a huge collection of photos in my last 3 months here and it's been really fun taking them.  I don't think i'm a pro just yet but do expect some more fantastic photos!


No comments:

Post a Comment